- Beat West meets New West
- "...here I was in Denver. He let me off at Larimer Street.
I stumbled along with the most wicked grin of joy in the world, among the
old bums and beat cowboys of Larimer Street." -- Jack
Kerouac in On the Road.
- "Larimer Street may have gone Godiva, but four blocks away
you can still listen to jazz all night in a smoky barroom."
- "Sinatra, Bennett and Fitzgerald are some of the heavies
who've worked up a sweat in this [El Chapultepec] venerable rumpus
room since 1951. A wealth of rock and rollers—Paul McCartney, Mick
& Keith, to name a few—have also done time here. Owner Jerry Krantz—a
no-nonsense jazz savior who's seen it all—once refused to let the members
of U2 into his place for bringing along underage dates."
- 5:30 - 7:30 - Cheap beer & Dean Moriarty's
El Chapultepec site
- 1962 Market St (@ 20th) map
- tel: (303) 295-9126
- Then next door we'll time-warp into the new west broadcasting
live on the internet! Brought to you by one Denver's
listed theme drinking web sites with a
live web cam...
7:30 - 9:00
- The Giggling Grizzly - $1
domestic drafts & $1.50 wells site
- And if there is time..."My Brother's Bar, is a great Beat
site. Just go toward
the mountains on 15th. You'll cross the Platte River Valley as you go there
was all over this area as a kid. He called it his "beach."
- This is a bar where Cassady
definitely drank -- and it's been in continuous operation since the days
drank here. There's no sign -- never has been, but it's on the southeastern
corner, across from Shakespeare's Poolhall (modern site). Back by the pay
phone, hung on the wall, is a letter from Neal
to Justin Brierly! Cassady
is writing from juvy hall, asking Brierly to come to this bar at 15th and
Platte to pay off his bar tab!"
- 9:00 -
- My Brother's Bar, site
- 15th and Platte (2376 15th Street)
- tel: (303) 455-9991
- See ya there!
- Jim- 720-232-7585 cell
- Matt - 720-839-4477 cell